Baby Lock Sashiko Machine

• 09 Jan, 2011
  • posted by Sylvia in: sylvia40

Sashiko baby Lock Machine

I have been experimenting with the new sashiko machine, a real departure from hand sashiko! However, it has exciting possibilities and is the only machine on the market that produces a running stitch. It feeds from the bobbin only, no top thread! It takes #100-#30 weight thread, much finer than a heavy cotton sashiko thread. The effect is more delicate compared to hand sashiko, but it certainly speeds up the process. I am trying it out for background geometrics, with my foliage designs, and for echo quilting. Put a variegated #40 weight thread and the effect looks like a hybrid of sashiko and hand quilting. I hope to have the machine avaialble to try out during  February 7-11 and 21-25 workshops in my studio. It certainly doesn’t replace hand sashiko, but adds another dimension to our quilting. Come check it out!

Be Social, Share!

8 Responses to Baby Lock Sashiko Machine

1. Stephanie Miller says:

I love the sashiko designs. This is new to me and I would like to know more about the machine.
    Thanks for sharing
    Stephanie

2. googleheimer says:

I agree with the post above and I will grab more information from google google

3. nancy dolfman says:

I’m also loving sashiko designds – would be interested in info re:sashiko machine. Nancy dolfman

4. Joyce C Kueher says:

I would like to SEE a picture and details of the sashiko machine, including prices.

5. Linda Yehle says:

I have a sashiko machine and am slowly learning what can and cannot be done with it. I can hardly wait for designs developed for the machine.

6. Donna McCalla says:

I purchased the Baby Lock Sashiko machine to make the beautiful Sylvia Pippen quilts from her Paradise & Sashiko book, specifically the plumeria wall quilt. I was very nervous as it was my first time, but it turned out absolutely beautiful and I plan on making many more. Yes, the machine has its limitations, but I specifically bought it for it’s stitching knowing that my hands would not be able to handle hand stitching for long periods of time.

• sylvia40 says:

HI Donna, I would love to see some photos of your work! I haven’t given up on machine sashiko , but need a good tutorial. If you have any words of wisdom about the machine to share………..
      thanks!